Clearing the snow

On Thursday I cleared the snow from the old pond

On Thursday I tried a final experiment: clearing the snow from the old pond.

There appeared to be an instant response: from a level of around 4 milligrammes of oxygen in the morning it rose to over 8 by the evening.

Click the graph to get a clearer picture

I made a second hole in the old pond at the same time – the black line with open square on the graph.This hole was over the area of the pond with the densest moss cover – so potentially the area of greatest oxygen use and oxygen production.

Before clearing the snow it was 2.3 milligrammes of oxygen per litre of water. By the evening it had also risen considerably, reaching just over 8 milligrammes of oxygen in each litre of water, shown by the dashed red line with triangles symbols on the graph.

At the same time the new pond – which still had its snow cover – continued to fall.

Next day (yesterday, Friday) the snow all melted so the experiment didn’t go on for as long as I would have liked.

With water standing over an inch of ice, now the increase has slowed in the old pond, and with no snow cover the new pond has also begun to recover.

It will be interesting to see what happens next as the ice melts completely.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: